Is there any person that makes you burst with pride at being Nigerian? Who do you know that is selfless, passionate, purposeful and patriotic?
There are Nigerians with Green and White blood flowing through their veins who are making a difference,unsung heroes across the length and breadth of Nigeria, and it is imperative that we AWAKEN the SPIRIT of PATRIOTISM in the hearts of NIGERIANS everywhere as we celebrate our 55th Anniversary… And in addition, INSPIRE and ENCOURAGE the next generation of African Writers.
KonnectAfrica.Net, the one-stop online portal that is inspiring entrepreneurship, youth employment and career development in Africa, is pleased to announce the 2nd edition of their online writing competition in Nigeria; ‘THE I KNOW A NIGERIAN STAR’ WRITING COMPETITION -SEASON 2!
Do you know a Nigerian ‘Star’? Then, submit an original article about an individual who is MAD [Making a Difference] around you: in your community, school, workplace, marketplace, locale or state. It is your turn to inspire Nigerians and Africans at large, and celebrate the Stars that you encounter in your different spheres and spaces.
THE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT:
1. Submissions must not be less than 500 words or above 1000 words.
2. It must be the original work of the author and include at least one picture and the contact details of the ‘Star/subject’.
3. Your ‘Star’ cannot include any person(s) already featured on www.konnectafrica.net
4. Kindly ensure that your submission is accompanied by a short profile of you.
5. The title of your mail should read: ‘I Know a Nigerian Star’ [The Name of your Star] ie ‘I Know a Nigerian Star – Modupe Ehirim
6. Your essay and profile should be contained in the body of the mail; pictures should be included as attachments.
7. The ‘star’ of your essay must be a living citizen of Nigeria.
8. Only one entry per candidate is permitted.
9. No Politicians are permitted as subjects of your entry.
10. By submitting an entry to this writing competition, you agree to the terms and conditions and accept the decision of the judges as final.
11. All entries are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
YOUR ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED BASED ON:
Originality, Creativity, Impact and the amount of credible information you have about your ‘Star.’ The entries will be graded as follows:
- Originality – 5 marks
- Impact Made By The Subject of Story- 5 Marks
- Writing Style/Story Telling Ability / Creativity – 5 Marks
- Use of Grammar/Grammatical Expressions – 5 marks
1st Prize – N100, 000
2nd Prize – N60,000
3rd Prize – N40,000
DATES TO REMEMBER
- 1st October 2015: Competition kicks off
- 21st October 2015: Submission deadline; if you haven’t sent in your entry by 12am, do try again next year.
- 2nd November 2015: Publication of Long list of top thirty  entries.
- 20th November 2015: Publication of Shortlist of top ten  entries.
- 23rd – 26th November 2015: Public voting commences for the top five [ 5] entries.
- 27th November 2015: The three  winners with the highest votes are announced and contacted.
Modupe Ehirim: She is the Proprietress of the Hidden Treasures Bookstore, a thriving specialty retail bookstore. Mrs Modupe Ehirim is also a Chemical Engineer and an ILO-trained business trainer who is passionate about youth mentorship; helping young people find and chart their life’s paths. She is the 2nd Vice-President of NECA’s Network of Entrepreneurial Women NNEW and Vice-President of NNEW Cooperative Multipurpose Society Limited.
Unoma Nwankwor: A Finance Professional by day and a Writer by night, Mrs Unoma Nwankwor has published four titles which are available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iStore and AfricaBookClub.com. She is also the COO of Kevstel Limited, a faith based entertainment company divided into movie productions and book publications.
1. By submitting entries for this competition, candidates give KonnectAfrica.Net the right to reproduce and distribute the articles in printed, electronic or any other medium; and to edit as is deemed appropriate, while duly recognizing its author.
2. This edition of the Competition is only open to those who are resident in Nigeria. Our fans in Kenya, Egypt, South Africa, Somalia etc. should watch out as future editions of this competition will be coming to other countries in Africa soon.
For more Information, and to read about #IKnowANigerianStar Season 1, visit http://www.konnectafrica.net/i-know-a-nigerian-star-season-2/