Guest Writer: Adetunji Steve
THE WONDERS OF A SMILE
''A day without a smile is a day that is lost.'' Anonymous
Smiling is a simple act that means so much to the person given but so little to the person giving it out. It only takes a split second to smile and forget, yet to someone that needed it, it can last a lifetime. We should all smile more often. What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure but scattered along life's pathway; the good they do is inconceivable. Many see no reason why they should smile when they consider what is obtainable around them. The environment cum prevailing circumstances do not warrant the free expressions of a smile, they reason.
A day without a smile is a day that is lost. The question then is, 'why do many find it difficult to smile?'
(1) Anxiety/worry - anxiety is the disturbance of the mind regarding some uncertain events - often future events. Worry is a more petty, restless and manifest anxiety. Anxiety may be quiet and silent, worry is communicated to all around - thereby draining them of smile.
''Don't worry. If you are worried, you will get a wrinkle. So smile and get a dimple.'' Shakespeare
(2) Depression - this is often as a result of what a person is currently passing through. Too much thought given to prevailing circumstances takes away the reason to smile. To be depressed means the person is pressed down by his circumstances, thus smile is also pressed out of such individuals.
(3) Fear - Fear of the unknown and the unseen pushes smile away from people. Someone once said 'fear is false experience appearing real'.
(4) Economy - In a case where there is no food or no money in the pocket, to smile in times like this requires an extra effort from within. Poverty is no good thing. It drives away joy.
(5) Ignorance of the power of a smile - some don't know the value of a smile to themselves and to others. ''Those who frown their faces always freeze their brain.'' David Abioye
If one keeps waiting to have one's environment perfect enough before one smiles, it will be amazing how one may not wear a smile in a life time because our systems and environment are not perfect. All we need do is to be intentional in wearing a smile.
WHY YOU NEED TO SMILE
One smile can make all the difference in the world. One smile has the power to release stress, calm you down, make you attractive, make someone else happy and believe it or not, smiling can actually cause happiness.
(1) Release stress & Calm down: Stress is hazardous to your health! When you let your stress levels continually increase without doing anything to prevent it, you will eventually breakdown. And when you do eventually breakdown, it will take you a long time to put yourself back together again. However, a smile is the cheapest and fastest cure. When you feel stressed, just take a minute or two to breathe in and out and smile. There is always something to smile about in life.
“A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear” –Unknown. This is absolutely true. Whether you are female or male, a smile is all you need to complete your beauty! I have always said: “There is nothing more attractive than a man with a smile!” Smile brings out the beauty in a lady. Besides, smiling also shows people that you are a positive person and easy to get along with.
(3) Be someones sunshine
Smiling is contagious. We all have our own battles to fight. Each one of us! And sometimes all a person needs is a smile to reassure them that everything will be OKAY (because it will be). Maybe one smile can reassure that girl who sits beside you in the class, that someone sees her - that someone actually cares. Maybe one smile to a stranger you walk by in town today is all it will take to turn that rainy cloud hanging over him into a bright shining sun.
(4) Great social network
As mentioned above, a smile is the most welcoming gesture. Who knows what one smile can lead to? I have personally meet a lot of amazing people using this method - just one smile. That is all it takes.
Smiling can cause happiness. It is only natural that we smile when we are happy and frown when we are sad/mad. What if we tried to smile a lot more often? What would happen then?
You can do yourself a favour always maintaining the habit of smiling. Put a smile on your face, no matter the condition! You can also be a help to someone by your acts of kindness.
ABOUT OUR GUEST WRITER
Stephen Adetunji writes from Microbiology and Parasitology Department, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital Complex, Ile-Ife. He is a Medical Laboratory Scientist, motivational speaker, mentor and a pastor. He desires and sees everybody achieving his/her dream. He believes investment into young people is investment into posterity.